Saturday 28 March 2015

Plein Air paintings

Being Irish we often overlook the beauty of the landscape and built heritage that surrounds us. My native county, Laois is rich in suitable locations for the artist to paint. Being located in the south Irish midlands the landscape is primarily pastoral in nature tending towards more dramatic mountainscapes in the Slieve Blooms. Over the next while I will post some of the work I have produced in various mediums when I have managed to escape from the studio. I hope to showcase some of the often overlooked sights of county Laois and environs.

One of the simple joys of using watercolour paints for Plein Air work is that they allow you to travel light. I use a lovely Winsor & Newton Cotman half pan set when out and about. Chuck in a few brushes, paper and water and I am ready to paint without the back strain of lugging heavy kit.

Here is a view of the Maltings and Swallows Quarter at Donaghmore painted in a few hours on a beautiful warm day in September 2014 using the above setup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting about this post.
If you are interested in further information about any of my work please send me an email: raftermj@gmail.com